Chocolate + Mint M&M cookies
In the past few years I’ve really slowed down my holiday baking—life is just so busy this time of year, it’s easy to let it go. But this year I was determined to make something—anything. I saw a picture of these chocolate cookies sprinkled with mint m&m’s on my Pinterest page and I got weak in the knees. I am a sucker for mint m&m’s. Why are they so delicious and why do they call my name every time I walk by a bowl of them?! Damn you mint m&m’s! So yeah, that photo was just what I needed to get myself together and back in the holiday baking spirit.
I have to say, it felt so good to be back in the kitchen baking. I’ve done a fair amount of cooking in my kitchen, but believe it or not, this was the first time I’ve made cookies in this kitchen since moving in nearly a year ago. That is just embarrassing—and after making a batch—it’s a real shame too because it’s a great kitchen to bake in. I guess that just means there will be more cookies in my future, which certainly isn’t a bad thing. But back to those mouthwatering mint m&m cookies. They have a chocolate base, enhanced with a little instant espresso powder which makes them nice and rich, and perfectly moist. And in case the m&m’s weren’t enough, they’re also dotted with chocolate chips—they’re almost too good.
So in case you need a little inspiration like I did, I hope this helps. What are you baking this year?
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
adapted from Bakerella
|1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
1/2 cup butter, slightly softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup peppermint M&M’s, plus a few more to press into the tops
1 cup bittersweet chocolate morsels
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
1. Mix flour, cocoa, soda, salt and coffee crystals in a medium bowl using a wire whisk. Set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar.
3. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
4. Add half the flour mixture to creamed butter and mix until combined, repeat with remaining flour mixture.
5. Stir in M&M’s and chocolate chips and then chill dough for about 30 minutes.
6. Use a scoop or Tablespoon, place the cookies about 1 inch apart on a baking sheet. (Note: reserve a few m&m’s to press into the tops of the dough just before baking.)
7. Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until done. Cool and eat.